Alternative RK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Journey in Disguise - Liverpool

Go down

A Journey in Disguise - Liverpool Empty A Journey in Disguise - Liverpool

Post  Aasha Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 pm

10 April 1457 Liverpool, England

Chester had been an interesting learning experience, not one that Aasha felt like she wanted repeated anytime soon though. She hadn't stayed in that town nearly as long as she had hoped, catching her breath after the events in Shrewsbury wasn't an option there. So here she was, in yet another town in a very short period of time. Her ankle throbbed painfully in her boot, letting her know a repeat of the fair was not in order, at least not until it healed properly. That meant she had to find a place to hole up, get some much needed rest, and maybe even explore the pack Tiffanyanne had given her. With everything that had happened, she hadn't even taken the time to peek again, which was very unusual for her.

The smell of the sea reached her senses long before she found the water. - Salt water may burn, but it could bring this blasted swelling down some, if I can get the boot off. Gosh, distances are deceiving, or maybe I'm just becoming a wimp, seems I'm never gonna reach the shoreline. - Finally, the water came into view, waves lapping gently at the shore, the perfect spot to sit and relax a spell.

Scouting till she found a log that had drifted onto the sand, she approached it slowly, cursing under her breath when the uneven ground made her ankle move in the wrong direction. The log was reached, after many pauses to catch her breath when the pain got overwhelming. Not bothering to look around, she plopped down heavily, placing her pack beside her before bending down to undo the laces of the boots. - Stupid ankle is swelled so bad, I don't know if i can even get it out of this boot. Stupid tree! - Tugging and pulling, she almost cried at the pain before finally giving up. - unlaced will have to do for now, I'll try again later -

Another breath of the fresh air and a smile flitted across her face. She pushed her hood back, a dirty face showing under a mop of unkempt hair, raggedly cut. Eyes closed as she tried to relax, gathering strength for the next bout with the boots.

OOC: Feel free to join in.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Journey in Disguise - Liverpool Empty Re: A Journey in Disguise - Liverpool

Post  Aasha Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Aimar wrote:She certainly was more than just pretty 'fingers', he thought of lady PrettyFingers whose vegetable garden he had been working in, but that was a passing thought…if there was one thing he had no managed to cure of his spoiled habits, it was his inability to rise early. His days started late even now as it had done at his father's estate all these years, much to the older man's chagrin. Today though he had been out to look for work early and just like his 'girl' used to tell him, it was a blessed day because of that; he had gotten a job in the vegetable patch, the easiest of the lot since it meant no digging or ploughing or even sowing and that too for 17 p! He spread his arms out and arched his back as he stretched while he walking on the beach…letting the sea breeze hit him and enjoying it too…this was the place he liked the most in Liverpool. When he was done working for the day this is where he turned to since the taverns did nothing for the silence within and even around him; after the odd conversation people always grew quiet but the waves never stopped their rush or the noise, they rose one after the other, threatening as they came in, moving the silky sand beneath his feet and kissing his feet before they returned…only to come again…he had to laugh out loud at the thought though, he was living the life of a commoner and thought the mighty ocean kissed his feet!

He had had meat today! And the taste was still in his mouth. It was indeed a blessed day, a full meal after so many days had tasted great and because of that his intentions to befriend the sea were stronger now. He had bought a boat that he was really not going to use for a while yet but it was a stupid moment when his purse was full and he had seen that beauty of a boat, the wood carved to perfection, he had to have it and so he did…before he got his sense back he had spent a 105.5p! Oh well, a few more days, a week maybe but I will learn to row deeper into the sea. As he was about to turn to walk back towards his house, he spotted a hooded figure on a log, first wrestling with boots and then pulling the hood back to taste the breeze. Hmm…he was curious, maybe someone had lost their way for really, he had not seen such a dirty face around town before! It looked to be a young boy, and by the looks of it, in need of help too. Aimar walked up to the person, the boy's eyes were closed and he had to clear his throat and redo the effort to clear it louder to let the boy know of his presence over the sound of the waves that were now gaining momentum with the tide coming in, Lost, little one?

aasha wrote:She forgot the boots, forgot the pain in her ankle, forgot all but the taste of the salt on her lips. The wind in her hair, the sound of the waves, the peace of the moment all worked to ease the tension in coiled muscles. She could grow to love this, if she were able to stay long enough. She was already enjoying it far more than she had expected, she really thought that everything that had happened lately would have kept her tightened up for a good long while. Pushing back thoughts of finding a place to stay, food, or anything else mundane, she continued to take in the beauty surrounding her, letting it seep into her soul to soothe where it could. - if you're careful enough here, you could stay. At least for a while. Just stay out of the way for a while, lay low. Easy enough if you're not daft, though lately you've been pretty stupid - A rueful smile flickered across her face, even in thoughts she couldn't help but chatise herself for her dumb moves.

The waves drowned out the sound of the mans approach, and the first clearing of his throat. On the second, Aasha's thoughts shattered, the peace fled as rapidly as it had stolen over her. Almost jumping off the log, much to her ankle's discomfort, she blinked up to see the man standing over her. - Where had he come from? you're doing it again, allowing yourself to relax when you should be paying attention. Whats wrong? Secret wish for capture? Starting to like pain that much? Did he just call you a little one?!? - Schooling her face to show a bland contenance, she debated rising, before deciding staying in place would be more prudent. Nah she answered, inflecting her voice with all the cockiness of youth. Just enjoyin' the wind and the waves.

Her eyes taking the man's appearance in further, she immediately realized he wasn't a commoner. - Not enough callouses on his hands, looked more tired than a few hours work in a field would cause. Not a bad thing for you though, bet he's not rubbed elbows with a pickpocket, safe enough for now. Stupid ankle though, if you did have to run, you'd be in big trouble - Not willing to strain her neck and have even more aches in her body, she brought her chin down, staring out to sea again. She was good at faking things, so pretending a nonchalance she didn't feel was easy enough, and that practice showed as she said; Yer welcome to sit, just don't be blockin' my wind.

Aimar wrote:His face lit up in a huge grin at that last remark, the little wart wanted his wind! Oh I wouldn't dare block your wind my good fella'! he said, sitting down beside the boy, You looked new in town, am I wrong? he did not wait for a confirmation and continued, ...when I came into town the mentor, Marya, helped me find my feet so I thought if you are new I should return this town the favor he smiled good naturedly at the boy but it did take a moment for him to really offer his hand; he was used to cleaner hands and much cleaner company but ugghh... yes, he would do anything to spite the thought of his father so he would keep the company he was to be appalled with!! He held his hand out, My father named me 'Aimar', though he would wish by now it was 'dead' instead he chuckled again, it hurt this time but the boy, or maybe his condition, had reminded Aimar of what he was supposed to be ...that was personal...oh well, can't be helped when its already out, he thought and waited for the boy to take his hand.

aasha wrote:Raising a brow at the inflection in his voice when he said wind, she bit back a groan, figuring the remark worked for a boy regardless, so nothing to worry about, even if inwardly she cringed at the thought. - Of course, she didn't smell too good anyway, so what was a little more odor at this point? - The thought caused another smile before she decided she'd better answer instead of sitting there like a mute. She couldn't reply right then, he was still talking, one sentence running into the next.

- Well off or not, this man seems to be lonely, talking a mile a minute to a stranger. Of course, he thought he was talking to a boy, and you look like you were dragged through every dusty road in town, so you'd be safe enough in his estimation. Little does he know. - Hiding her smirk, she waited for him to take a breath before saying; Sure enough, I'm new in these parts. Guessin' thats not somethin' I can hide here. Noting the hesitation before he offered his hand, she deliberately didn't wipe her own before grasping his. Name's Ash. Haven't been into town proper yet, so yer the first I met round these parts.

She let the comment about his dad slide, a quick decision not to make this man any more uncomfortable than the admission might have made him, though it did make her relax her guard a little more. It hadn't been her dad, but she knew when someone was bent on making a life miserable, gave them something in common.

Aimar wrote:He did not hold back again, Aimar's handshake was strong, warm, just like the smile on his face, It is a nice place, you can work in the mines, find food in taverns, work on a field..., he leaned closer as if sharing a secret, ...if you wake up early enough he grinned at the boy and then said seriously, You are alone? Parents? it was none of his business but what did he have to lose, Whats the most that can happen even if he does get offended? Aimar thought with a recklessness that was unlike him...unlike the new him at least, but he had been reckless since the day had started, the boat, the meal...it was a continuation and if it meant he actually did something good, he didn't mind...not yet at least and his slouched, relaxed shoulders said exactly that.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 pm

aasha wrote:The firm handshake showed that he had gotten over his aversion to touching her dirt. Pleased he wasn't pulling back, though she couldn't figure why, she smiled. She knew working hard wasn't going to happen for a while, heck walking was hard enough with her ankle swollen so much, but it was nice listening to him ramble. Wakin' early ain't a problem fer me.

It took every ounce of willpower Aasha had to keep from stiffening up as Aimar asked of her parents. -He sure is a nosy fellow, asking of things that don't concern him. Let it pass, a scene would be bad news if you actually want to stay here longer than the last couple of towns. - Through with her internal lecture, she looked out at the waves again. I'm not a kid you know, old enough to be on my own. was what she forced past her lips. What she really wanted though, as memories threatened to swamp her, was to be alone and relive them, or better yet, find a way to be home with her parents, instead of running from her past.

Aimar wrote:Aimar raised a brow at the boy, his eyes showed a glint of moisture with no apparent cause but he smiled through it and nodded his head as he looked down, the slow nods of understanding even when there was not much to be understood, it was more the ability to relate instead of understanding but still, Thats good, lad...thats good. I wish you luck. He rose slowly, he needed to walk and he was about to turn and leave when it occurred to him, You know, you are old enough to need food...no? you have any? It was none of his business but he was not going to back out still, he was bigger! he thought and the thought almost made him laugh even in his indignant mood, It is a nice town, I would still not advise sleeping in the open…have a place to go to? You don't like freezing do you? I'm sure the townsfolk would not appreciate a boy on the beach found grinning 'cus he froze! he gave the boy a piercing glare, The people are nice, you can't still stay out here or on a road, or the boars will have you for dinner instead of the other way around... He did not know why he was being protective, but it was just a little boy whose mother was probably fretting after him, maybe they will come into town tomorrow, looking for him or something...maybe even a father can love his son. He decided then to show some respect, like he'd always wanted from his father, Can I ask where you will stay the night?

aasha wrote:She had let out a breath she didn't know she was holding when he rose to leave, one she couldn't hide even when he paused to turn back. She felt so lost and alone, wanted to go home so badly, but didn't even know where that was any longer, and he was making her think of her parents, of home again. Luck's not somethin' I believe in, unless its bad. She hadn't meant to say that out loud, and immediately wanted to kick herself for doing so. Would have too, had her ankle not throbbed with pain. Her voice had sounded husky, even to her, but knew the low tone she had used would still seem masculine enough. Bitterness rang in the words, much had been given away unintentionally to this stranger.

If she had been honest with herself, she had found a tiny ray of sunshine in her running streak of bad luck, back in Shrewsbury, but she didn't want to dwell on that, lest it put her in tears. She missed Tiffanyanne, and hadn't really even gotten to know her well. It was the caring that got her, that made her will crumble. But Aasha wasn't going to be honest with herself any time soon, she didn't let herself think too hard on anything, she wanted to keep her edge.

She swiveled her head around and up to meet Aimar's gaze. You know a good place to stay? or eat? More words she regretted uttering when the inflection in his words changed, causing her to sit up straighter, her back held stiffly in indignation. Didn't ask you to worry 'bout me, didn't ask anyone to. And a boar? Good eatin', an I got a knife that I ain't above usin' Letting the heat fill her up, her eyes flashing green fire, she hopped up, forgetting all about her ankle. I ken take care of mys'lf she all but spat.

Instinct had taken over, fight or flight, and fighting was not something she was good at, so flight it was. She pivoted around, and immediately fell to the ground when her ankle gave way. Pain, white hot and blinding tore up from her ankle, causing her hands to ball into fists and her eyes to squeeze shut as she willed herself to breathe.

Aimar wrote:It was the lad's turn to speak and Aimar was all ears, he did not react to the anger, he expected that...it was as if the boy was no different to him but what had his anger gained him? even with the freedom? It was nice but it still was not the home where he was loved. It was the home that was empty, empty walls staring at him. Oh he liked himself but he knew his mother and his girl loved him more, so what exactly did he gain? 'Tis NOT about ME, dammit! He chastised himself rather harshly as his thoughts went off track. He was quiet, and did not care even to move a muscle, other than the smirk, the almost challenging smirk that came over his face at the mention of a knife from the boy…he could probably flatten the little rascal with the back of his hand…but that was not worth a mention right now. Have it your way... he started as the boy got up to leave but then fell to the ground, decided to sleep in the sand? he made his way to the boy's side and keeled but soon realized it was something more serious than a mere trip of the foot that flattened him, What happened little one? unable to be entirely nice he added, You look to be alive to me… his touch though was kind as he put his hand on the lad's shoulder, as he truly began to gauge the pain, Is it your leg? You can not walk? He was dead serious now, he had ridiculed a maimed child!?

aasha wrote:She so badly wanted to say she was fine, her lips formed the words, but all that came out was a low groan. Her ankle was swelling even more, she could feel it. The untied laces weren't helping relieve any pressure now, in fact, she was starting to think having them tied tight for support would have been better. All of her concentration however, was on taking deep, steady breaths, keeping tears at bay and dealing with the pain. She had been through worse and survived, but not something that was her own fault, and this was all her doing. She knew better than to let anger control her, knew she shouldn't be pushing anything. Hadn't she already told herself that, not minutes before he showed up?

- Stupid, stupid girl. You knew better, instead you want to prove you're just as much an idiot as your cousin always claimed. Oh Jah, it hurt, the boot has to come off, salt water would help. Wish Tiffanyanne were here, even if she was a mayor, she'd know what to do. Stop it! Don't go there! Breathe in, now out. - She couldn't speak, not now, not while in this much pain, she was afraid her real voice would come out instead of the husky tone she had perfected. Aimar was forgotten as she concentrated fully on what she knew she had to do. She was alone with her pain, it was her against it, nothing else existed. She sat back, shivering with the effort to control her pain, then bent forward and grasped the boot. Closing her eyes, she tugged, bringing blood to her lip as she bit it to keep from crying out.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 am

Aimar wrote:He knit his brows as he watched the lad, thick as a boar, he thought and leand in to help, Leave it he said with authority in his voice, and pried the child's finger's off the boot, it was obviously the source of discomfort, and it was not coming off, Will you tell me what the matter is? Is it too small or something? without waiting for a response, Aimar tugged at the shoe with a grunt, hoping to get it off...

Aasha wrote:He didn't know how bad it hurt, he couldn't know, but she desperately wished he did. Then he wouldn't have pried her fingers loose, if he knew, she wouldn't be struggling to speak. Relinquishing control was not on the agenda, but then again, making her ankle worse wasn't either. Her voice though, that was something she could take control of again. Not she looked up too met his gaze small He began to tug ankle Excruciating pain hit her on her last word, causing it to end in a moan. Eyes closed, teeth gritted, she balled her fists to keep from screaming as her foot finally came free of the boot.

Aimar wrote:You are one stupid fella', said Aimar exasperated, Did you walk on that poor thing!? he pointed to the swollen ankle and winced even though it was the lad in pain, shaking his head at the boy he tried softening his tone but it seemed the boy had caught him in full flow, If you want to fight you should get your knife out now, I would not appreciate being stabbed but you are going with me. His voice held a challenge, he was not taking no for an answer, You can roll up in a corner and I will not mind you but you can not run on this ankle, let it rest and heal for a week or so... he had to get the last part in...or else one of these days your foot will have to be cut off and then you can jump everywhere like a darned rabbit!

Aasha wrote:- Walked, run, did anything I needed to. - She didn't say the words out loud, just in her mind, but they didn't make her feel any better. She was in too much pain now, too tired, too wrung out to even get angry at his tone again. She had found her voice again though, and the pain was almost tolerable after the boot came off. She met his eyes for a second time, and saw the resolve in them. She didn't have the strength to fight him, and she knew he'd probably sleep heavy, so it wasn't worth it anyway. She could be gone when she recuperated a little bit, and him be none the wiser. Corner sounds alright. A slight hesitation, then; Thanks Aimar.

She leaned and grabbed her pack, she wasn't going to lose such a precious gift, then the boot. She still hadn't even opened the pack, the things inside were like treasure, beckoning, but she wanted to savor that in private, when she wasn't hurting so much that her stomach had cramped up. Leaning a second time, she made sure to snag the boot, both clutched protectively to her chest.

Aimar wrote:He listened to the lad attentively but his smile was more for the boy's protectiveness for the pack, the boot, It really would not fit me... he gestured towards the boot but his tone did not taunt this time...it could easily have been him teasing a younger sibling, Try to relax little one, I am not a thief, I will not take anything from you...or hurt you, alright? it was implicit, but he did not expect the trust, that does not look as if it would come cheap with this fella so he said instead, Should get you to the house then so you can rest up, mind you, it is a mere shack...I do not have a lot... or anything for comfort, he thought but that was not something he wanted to mention, he was bent on being proud of his work. He stood up, thinking he could get the boy to sling an arm around his shoulder and he could help the lad walk but then again, they were not remotely the same size, Aimar was tall, taller than usual and the boy might have gotten to his shoulder if he really put in the effort, seemed that he hadn't, Should I pick you up? he asked, a little awkward, then he figured the right way and sat on his haunches, Hop on rabbit...without getting your knife out, Aimar grinned, and waited for the boy to comply.

Aasha wrote:- Not a thief? if only this man knew, he'd not want you anywhere near his 'shack'. Of all things to say, not a thief – Under normal circumstances the comment would have brought an amused smile to Aasha's face, but these weren't normal circumstances. In fact, she wasn't sure she would have anything resembling normality in her life ever again. She hadn't had much of that since she went to live with her uncle, mere moments in the tidal wave of years, but even those were hard to grasp. - You're doing it again girl, stop thinking on the past, its not worth dwelling on now, especially that. Pay attention, and speak up! –

She actually tried to relax, more to put the man at ease than herself. She didn't have the energy to argue again, all she really wanted was for the pain to go away, and maybe a nap. Has a roof right? she teased playfully, though teasing isn't something she was used to doing, so she wasn't sure the tone sounded right with her masked voice. She almost panicked when he suggested picking her up, it would be too close and she didn't want to worry about that right now. Before she could, he leaned down and offered his back, causing a wry grin to make its way to her face.

- Twice in a matter of days, you're offered a ride on someone's back. Keep your sigh in! You're repeating too many things, something you need to stop doing. At least he looked like it wouldn't hurt him if he did, you won't feel as guilty this time, even if he is tired. Just don't lean on him too much and you'll be fine. – She would need a hand to hold on, and right now both were full, one with the pack, the other with the boot. Looking at both items, she carefully opened the top of the pack, her eyes widening slightly as she saw what remained of some squished food she hadn't known was there. Her hands itching to explore more, she refrained as well she could and closed the pack again. She wasn't putting the boot in there and ruining what could be salvaged from what could be dinner, so instead, she tied the laces of the boots to the strap of the pack, then threw it over one shoulder.

Done, she looked once more at Aimar's back. - Now or never, ignore the pain, you can do this. – She stood carefully, putting as little weight as possible on her foot, then climbed onto the man's back. One arm held his shoulder while the other adjusted the pack before she spoke again. Rabbit? They're good eatin', I'm not. I'm on, should I say giddyap?
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:19 am

Aimar wrote:He chuckled, Yes, there is a roof, and it holds... he was just glad to have someone to talk to. There was that little delay, he decided not to look back and make the lad more nervous, it was after all clear that he was low on trust, Giddyap, eh? Yes, it works well with my position, but does it also mean I can throw you off if you anger me? he smiled as he hooked his forearms with the lad's legs and started walking, the lad was not heavy and the meal helped, it was easy work carrying him.

Aasha wrote:It soon became obvious that carrying her wasn't going to be work for Aimar, which was good; she could concentrate on holding his shoulders, and breathing. Her poor ankle might not have made it to a place to sleep for the night, but she was sure she could sneak out if she needed to once she let it rest for a few hours. Not something she was going to worry about now, she'd leave when she thought it was time. She wasn't sure if it helped or was worse that it was a man and not a woman taking her to their 'home' though. She wasn't trusting of men at all, but as long as he thought she was a lad, she would be safe enough, she hoped. Women though, they wanted more even of a lad, for them to take baths and such. Jah, that had been hard to refuse. I hope she figured how much I appreciated it when she woke the next day.

A tiny bit of sound slipped out, a catching of her breath to hold back the sob that wanted to form, caught when she bit her lip again. Pay attention to where he's going, and what you see along the way! she reminded herself grimly, frustrated and angry with herself for letting her thoughts get away with her the way they had been doing lately. Thought horses bucked when they were spooked, they get angry too? She chuckled, long and low, letting the sound work as a switch to turn her thoughts as they headed to his home.

Aimar wrote:I am no ordinary horse…I am a Royal steed, little one, I only buck when angry, otherwise I am a good fella' he came into view of his little stone cottage and said, There we are, it is not much, but it better than sleeping in the sand as you planned, he found it hard to keep those remarks in. He booted the door, There is no latch, means you can leave whenever you like, I will not stop you… he had no furniture and for the first time he really missed it, uhh…I have no chair or bed for you to sit on, will you be alright on the ground? He had hay stacked in packs from the last cutting of his wheat in the corner, so he headed that way and let the lad sit on that instead, You will have to make do, this is not the best inn in town but its free, Aimar smiled as he turned, Now tell me what I can do for your ankle?

Aasha wrote:- Listen to him, he sure has a high opinion of himself. Royal steed indeed, bet he's a spoiled little lord, though why he is living like this is beyond me. Given a choice between his life of ease and this, he actually chose this? – But who was she to judge anyone by their choices, even if they didn't make sense. She knew better than most that sometimes what can be seen on the outside didn't mesh with the reality within.

Well fella', good or not, you're makin' a decent steed. Wouldn't be callin' ya royal though, not sure royal would be carryin' the likes of me. She hoped her comment would bring a chuckle, since he was already back to making excuses for his house. Little did he know, it was more than she was used to sleeping in, even without furnishings. - cept for in Shrewsbury. Stop it, you're doing it again! – Shaken by her wayward thoughts, she mentally kicked herself before looking around the room. Just don't be puttin' me on the roof. she quipped, right as he put her on a bale of hay. - hay in his house? who kept hay inside their house? Wonder if he knows he can make a pallet with this stuff? –

Free is good. She smiled back, then looked down at her ankle. Meant to soak it in the sea, you got somethin' to soak it in? She slipped her pack off her shoulder, the boot thumping to the ground as she let it fall. The noise triggered a memory, and she realized she did have something more to help, when she had opened the pack at the beach, she had seen what appeared to be tea along with the squished food. Tiffanyanne had given her some, and it had eased the pain, maybe it was the same kind again. The memory galvanized her into action; she opened the pack and pulled out the food, and the tea. - He's giving you a roof, may as well share your food. Not like you've not made it on less. Besides, the tea had been bitter, if he drank some too it could be amusing to see his expression. –

Got some tea in here. It could help the pain. - I hope – Yer supplyin' the roof, guess I'll supply the food. She gestured to the food she had set aside before handing him the packet of tea like it was gold, rare and precious before closing the pack again. She wasn't ready to see what else might be there, that was to do alone, when she could afford the onslaught of regret she was sure to feel from having to leave.

Aimar wrote:Aimar did not respond to the comment about the steed, he had thought of the same after the words were out, Stop being such a high-minded brat, you are no better than him, it was something he did remind himself quite often, it just had not sunk in proper yet.

Soak...hmm...he had a small trough, Yes...guess so... dirty feet, he thought but he had not the heart to refuse, the child was in pain! would just have to scrub it well later… He moved to the small kitchen, it was the only room in the cottage beside the one they were in, and the only door, it seemed, was the front door. Logs were stacked in a corner with a pot and there was no fire lit.

Aimar sighed, he hated this part but there was no option. He carried some wood to the fireplace in what he had made his little kitchen and got down on his knees. The fire though, only appeared after some grunting and suppressed cussing he had recently learned in his travels, the water will take a little bit to be warm, if that is what you want with the tea, he said over his shoulder, I have never made tea before, so you would better tell me how you want it... He walked over to the larger pot he kept water in to check his supplies, it was all going to be used up, he shrugged, You wanted to help, now put up! he scolded himself and added the rest of the water to the pot on the fire, Might as well warm the water you are going to soak your foot in, my girl used to say it helps swelling...a small smiled came to his face, her face and the teasing tone along with the finger wagging as she said said, we should put some water to warm and soak you in it, that ought to help with your swollen head, it was not in the same context as the swollen ankle but…he took a deep breath, he missed her...

Aasha wrote:She watched him leave the room, apparently to get something to soak her foot in, then leaned forward and probed her swollen ankle. The pain was almost bearable now, taking the boot off had helped immensely. Of course, not walking on it to get here had to have helped some too. She studied her ankle for a minute more, then bent to unlace and remove her other boot. - No sense in having either on right now, and it looks silly to have only one on. – She untied the other from her pack, then placed them side by side, staring at them for the longest time without moving.

Pulled out of her absorption by the sounds of grunting and muttering from the next room, she grinned, wondering if he'd ever had to wait on himself before. - Probably not, probably always had servants to do it for him. Not offering to help though, not in the mood to test my luck on that ankle again this soon. – No sooner had the thoughts flown through her mind before she was being spoken to again. She knew how to make tea, it was one of the few kitchen tasks she was good at, but how well did it fit with her young boy image to admit that? - Not a good thing to admit knowing, so you'll have to deal with dregs in your tea. Good thing the place is so small, you don't have to yell to be heard, and yelling isn't something you can do as a boy –

I reckon you just throw it in the water to boil, then pour it in a cup. Guess we'll be findin' out. There's enough fer us both He wasn't back in the room yet, so the smirk could show, and boy did it when she offered to share again. She added; Want it hot, but not burnin'. just increasing the cocky attitude she was trying to maintain. She wasn't surprised when he mentioned having a girl, though she did wonder if it was only one. He seemed the sort to probably have them falling at his feet when he didn't have to do so much for himself, much like the lady in Chester had men falling at hers. Another smirk as she remembered what else had fallen.

Aimar wrote:He touched the pot to check if the water was warm enough, ouuuh! he cried out as his hand touched the metal, that was stupid! he muttered to himself and tried to use the shirt he was wearing as a rag to pick the pot with, arrgghhh!!! he was angry by now, it was still hot, muttering under his breath he got up and picked the rag he had used earlier from beside the wood, audibly calling himself a lazy idiot! among other unmentionable things. Once he had poured most of the water into the trough he walked back into the room and tentatively put a finger in to check how hot the water was when it was on the ground in front of the lad, There...'tis not too hot, at least not as hot as the pot it was in! he shook his head once in anger at himself and got back to his feet, soak your foot, I will see what can be done about the tea... he stopped for a moment and turned, Its hot, not burning and...uhh…be careful still watch your tongue was what he wanted to say but his sense caught up with him just in time, he had just managed to get the little brat to settle, it would do him no good if he attempted to run before his parents got to him.

Aasha wrote:More noises from what had to be the kitchen caused a chuckle to escape from Aasha. She schooled her features when he walked into the room, though her green eyes still reflected a tiny hint of amusement. - He was doing you a favor, however incompetent he was at it, not nice to laugh at him. Settle down and be polite. – She couldn't seem to help herself though, they had clashed almost immediately, almost every word he uttered was guaranteed to grate on her nerves. She didn't know why, and didn't really want to figure it out, she just knew she couldn't afford any loss of control, even with a spoiled man.

He did it again, and she couldn't stop the words that flowed. Yer not supposed to pick it up barehanded. I was gonna share food, you didn't have to cook. I don't like crispy fingers. She did her best to look innocent as she said it, then tested the water with a finger. Finding the temperature tolerable, she leaned down again, carefully tugging her nice stocking off and placing it inside her boot, before sliding her foot into the water. The warmth was soothing, much better than she expected, now she hoped it would actually bring the swelling down. A twinge of guilt was felt when he mentioned the tea, she really should mention the bitterness since she figured he would have some too, but she just couldn't bring herself to. She wanted to see his expression too bad. Instead, she assuaged her guilt by saying Thank you again.

Aimar wrote:The corner of his mouth twitched at the thanks, but not before he bit his lip to stop himself from responding to the taunt, or at least stop partially... It could be a crisp fist too, if you don't watch it little one... he did mutter in spite of all his control, For now you can make do with tea, Aimar did not wait for another bait though and walked into the kitchen. The water he could plainly see was boiling, how much of this---thing--- do I put in? he asked over his shoulder of the tea.

Aasha wrote:She rolled her eyes, confident that he wouldn't actually hit her. If he was going to do that, he would have by now, she had been pushing him almost from the moment he spoke to her and hadn't reacted violently yet. Good thing to, had he, she would have had a knife to his throat regardless of the size difference, and been gone before he could have disarmed her. That’s one thing she wouldn't go through again, ever. Yessirshe mocked, before watching him leave the room again.

She wiggled her toes in the water, testing how badly the ankle hurt. - its already easing some, thank Jah for that. –He didn't give her a chance to do much else before his voice piped out from the kitchen again. She closed her eyes and brought the packet to mind. It had been full, and she didn't imagine that he was making more than a couple of cups. Putting doubt in her voice, she answered; Bout a third I'd say. Maybe a little more.

Aimar wrote:One--third, he poured the tea in and took the pot off the fire, he did remember that part, he had seen tea being prepared...if nothing, his observation was quite alright. Carrying his tin mug to the hay stack, he set the pot down and put the mug beside it, Let it brew for a bit and drink after that, right? said Aimar, sitting next to the boy. Does it feel any better? he gestured towards the ankle, inwardly wondering if he would ever be able to bring himself to wash with that trough again

Aasha wrote:She was relaxing again, having kept her eyes closed, though she wouldn't allow herself to fall asleep. Even if she had wanted to, her ankle still hadn't eased enough for that. She didn't figure he would be out of the room very long, he would undoubtedly return quickly since all he was doing was getting the tea. Even that didn't cause her to open her eyes, she wanted more than anything to close out the pain. Closing her eyes was a physical way to do so, despite the fact that it wasn't working.

Her instincts were good, she knew the moment he reentered the room. Opening one eye, she watched his approach with the tea and cup, willing herself to stay calm when he sat right beside her. - Was there nowhere else he could sit? Why right beside me? Jah, I don't like being this close, but surely he wouldn't see through the disguise anyway, he's paying attention to your ankle, and probably wishing your dirty body had never crossed his doorstep. Good job girl, you didn't tense, and he isn't that close, you can deal with this, no problem. – She did open her eyes when he sat down, longing for the obscurity of her hood. Yep, pretty sure thats it. Shouldn't be long right? Since the water is hot?

The tea would give her something to do with her hands, so she was really looking forward to it being ready, and thought maybe once it was done she could convince him she was tired and needed to sleep, which was the truth. The heat is helpin', appreciate yer gettin' it ready for me. Wanna put yer feet in and see for yerself? Snickering inside, she wondered why it was that giving him a hard time was so appealing, and even more, why it allowed her to unwind around him. Not enough that she dwelled on it, but it had crossed her mind a few times
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Aimar wrote:Uhh---n…no thank you---My feet are just fine, he was quickly in control after the initial stutter. The foot, he guessed had been covered, it did not look as dirty as the rest of the lad but…he only half managed to suppress the shudder. To cover up his weakness, and he did think it to be that, he said, Maybe once it heals you can take a bath too… that did not sound right! He stuttered again, it was a stupid comment and one that sounded as if he intended on embarrassing the lad, It would help you settle…m…my girl used to say you should wash away the road's dirt to start a new journey…whether it's a journey to another town or the start of a new life here…it lets you start lighter...wash away memories or something like that sounds better now, he shrugged and waved his hand nonchalantly as if to show he the attention to really remember what was said was something he offered very few, and on special occasions alone.

Assuming the tea would be ready, he leaned to uncover the pot and poured the tea into the mug, hoping the color in his face went unnoticed, There ya go, he said, handing the lad the mug before straightening, I hope it is as effective as you think little one… he only had a single mug, and not wanting to seem as if he was waiting for the lad to finish or offer him something, he got to his feet, I am mighty tired, he stretched and raised his arms above his head, holding the position for a bit before he relaxed, This was MY bed he thought with a sigh, I hope you will be comfortable… he grabbed the mat leaning against the wall, I will take to the floor… he said pointing to the spot a couple of feet off in front of the window, hoping he would be offered the straw instead but knowing his manners would not allow him to let a guest sleep on the floor…guest?...ugh…high standards you have m'lord he mocked himself as he moved to spread out the mat, uhh…I only have this mat...he shrugged, showing his inability to give the lad anything to put over the straw…

Aasha wrote:- You got him stuttering and everything. Bet he washes every time a speck of dust touches his body. – Lips that had started to twitch laughed outright when she caught a slight shudder, though the amusement fled as quickly as it caught hold when he mentioned a full out bath. - Good Jah, what is it with people trying to make me bathe? Should have known he'd be like a girl, all into cleanliness, didn't you just prove that when you threw out the comment about putting his foot in with yours? Oh, he's mentioning his girl again, focus there, try to ignore the bath stuff, focus! – She did just as she was telling herself, and began to focus on what his girl had told him. The words might have made sense to someone like him, who had probably been pampered, but for her, not so much. She had bathed more than once since she had fled, and it hadn't left any memories behind, no matter how hard she scrubbed. She wished they were true though, she had lots of memories she would like to wash away, and a few she wanted badly to hang onto and let them fill her with peace that she had lacked for years now. Yer girl has lots of advice for you? Must miss her huh? Yer mentionin' her a lot.

She congratulated herself on her composure, the tone had been right, half teasing and it should get him off the subject of bathing. He had gone directly from dispensing advice to pouring tea, which gave her a few more minutes to clear her mind. She took the mug, looking into it and hiding her disgust at a few herbs that floated to the top. Steeling herself for the bitter taste, she drank the brew quickly, suppressing her urge to spit out the few dregs she hadn't been able to keep out of her mouth. The warmth spread inside, it had tasted the exact same so had to be the stuff she was given before. - don't ask for water, or you'll not get him to taste it at all, and you know you want to see his face. – She hadn't scalded her tongue too bad drinking so fast, but then again, she wouldn't have cared if she had. It would have only added to the husky tone she was maintaining. It should, had it before, just didn' fix it fer myself. want yer mug? bet theres enough left fer you to have some too.

She held the mug out, hoping he would take it, but put it down on the floor when he picked up a mat that was leaning on the wall. She could tell by his look towards the hay that she was in his bed when he mentioned sleep. - He covered this hay for his bed? with it bundled like this? – There was no way she wanted to lay on the bundled hay. He had offered her help, even if some of it had been reluctant, which made it easier for her to offer advice of her own. It couldn't hurt anything, she looked poor so he wouldn't think a thing of her knowledge, and she would feel churlish in not doing so. Sleep sounds great 'bout now, would you be mindin' if I spread the hay some? Softer ifin I do, or I could take yer mat and you could have the hay.

She moved her ankle out of the water, grabbed her stocking and pulled it over the damp foot, figuring the heat in the cottage would dry it quick enough. She didn't stand yet though, she didn't want to spread the hay by herself, or at all if he was going to take offense.

Aimar wrote:Miss her? He looked at the lad and gave away a glimpse of a smile before nodding, Yes, I do miss her…she is very special…and she is my little secret his smiled deepened…he was not used sharing her like this with anyone, let alone someone he'd just met so he continued what he was doing. In a minute the mat was spread and he was about to lay down when he was offered the tea, he had never been very fond of it, but he did drink tea once in a while and since he was out of water, ignore the thought, I am not going out tonight…first thing in the morning, not going to get water tonight! he took the mug from the lad, and smiled, Thank you. There was only a little left in the pot, a couple of swigs but it was quite enough to sate his thirst so he poured it.

Spread the hay out you say? Will that help? I thought if it was higher…like a bed, it would be more comfortable… he knew he was no authority on the matter though and the boy even looked as if he'd know. Ok, we can spread it out as you say…uhh…I have not slept on it, or used it before this so I would not know he put the mug down next to his mat and turned to the boy, You might have to get up then little fella' Aimar said sitting on his haunches next to the stacks, it was quite apparent he was thinking, the stacks were tied well and without a knife, he was not going to get them open in a hurry, he gnawed his bottom lip for a moment before he held his hand out, Mind showing me how good your knife is?

Aasha wrote:She heard the words and saw the smile, but was surprised when he didn't continue. She figured, given the opportunity, he would be gushing all about her. - His feelings for her must run deeper than I thought. Maybe he's not the type to want more than one at a time like you assumed. Oh well, it still got him off the bath. – She smiled brightly as he poured the tea, anticipating his expression when he tasted it.

He threw her again when he put the cup down to take her advice so fast. - Smart enough to listen to you as well, isn't that a surprise. Little one, little fella, is he trying to make me feel small? or just feels like he's soooo big? Almost insulting that, bet a young boy would take offense, act on it. – Not that little, told ya, I ain't a youngin', she glared with fake indignation.

She had been prepared to stand, knowing he couldn't spread the hay with her atop it, but there was no way she was going to hand over her knife. She already regretted that he knew it existed, it gave away an edge she might have needed later. - too late to dwell on that though - Instead of standing, she slid down from the bale and turned, so she was on her buttocks beside it. She had the presence of mind to not let it slip unnoticed, no reason for him to see how skilled she was with concealment; so instead, she made a production of getting it out.

Sure, I'll show you. She grinned, leaned forward and tossed him some of the food she had laid to the side, having forgotten it when she drank the tea. Without checking to see if he caught it, she turned towards the twine and cut them cleanly, then got to her knees facing the hay completely as she went through the same process of putting the knife back. Once that was complete, she began to spread the hay out some, making the one bale long enough to fit her form while she explained. It will still be higher than the floor, but tied like that, theres no give in it. You wanna be able to settle in, let it sink some under yer weight. Testing her efforts, she scooted forward, got off her knees and sat down on the new pallet she had created, then grabbed some food for herself. Munching away, her mouth half full on purpose, she said; See fer yerself. Have a seat. She gestured beside her as she talked, letting a bit of the food fly out of her hand as she did, knowing some of the food had come out when she talked as well. She let the smile that showed look like pride instead of amusement as she waited. Now she had two things that would make him uncomfortable, the flying food particles, and the taste of the tea.

Aimar wrote:He looked as if he was watching some strange creature as he dusted the crumbs the lad sent flying from his forearm...all of course after he'd caught the slice of bread thrown at him, uhh...ok he said I can try it...but I have food, you should keep your food... he extended his hand to let the lad take it. He was not going to fall for that again, the debate on him being big enough and anyhow...those eyes, he had had a good look at the lad for a while now, there were flickers of mischief there and somehow, Aimar felt this was the time to settle the debate, the lad was not leaving, All right laddie, it is how I speak, if you don't like it, listen to the crickets instead but I will speak as I please, now... he sat on the hay, it was softer now and that meant the craving to sleep on something softer than floor grew stronger, There is enough of this, we could spread the other bale and I can sleep on here too? he said, looking into the emerald eyes and oddly enough, he though any girl would be proud of those...

Aasha wrote:She shrugged her shoulders, figuring the state of the food had more to do with the refusal than all else, but didn't lean to take it back. Making sure to stuff another large bite into her mouth before she spoke, she looked down to hide the glittering of her eyes. I ken share. Ifin you don't want it, you can put it with the rest. I'm gonna put whats left up afore we sleep anyhow. She let the comment about sleeping with the crickets pass, it just wasn't worth the effort right now, and she still had a reaction to look forward to.

She moved to suit action to her words while he sat, gathering the remaining food and placing it back in her pack. The bread she ate had been enough to take the edge off her hunger. She was too tired to want to eat much more now, and the tea was starting to work, the throbbing was easing quite a bit.

Having just finished as he spoke again, she wished she had waited, wanting something to busy herself with so she didn't have to will herself from stiffening at the thought of him sleeping beside her. - But surely he didn't mean to spread it right beside her? He already thought you disgusting; would he want to be too close to the smell of your unwashed clothes? Play it cool, maybe he means to move the bale to wherever he was going to carry that mat. – Yah, there'd be enough left fer you too. Where'd ya want to spread it to?

Aimar wrote:Put this with your food, Aimar put the bread on top of the food the lad was stuffing in, he was always short on food too so he knew what each loaf meant when one was hungry, Is it your mother's cooking? He asked for no real reason, his mother cooked rarely but he could still close his eyes and remember the taste, the aroma…he sighed. If it were my mother's cooking I would not share, that is why I asked, he shrugged then stood up to walked over to pick the mug he had placed beside the mat, I could spread the hay beside your bale, I don't like things in the middle of the room, that is a old habit, this looks like the best spot, he took the mug to his lips, then had another thought, Could you cut the other stack for me? I know tis a bother…I should have known I would need a handy knife, you are smart to get one…he smiled at the lad, hoping the praise would make him not mind the comment about his mother much.

Aasha wrote:She shrugged her shoulders again before packing the bread with the rest, noting they were all being placed on a nice clean shirt. - Probably pants in there as well, too bad you're not alone to go through it. – It wasn't the first time she wanted to, and wouldn't be the last, but the anticipation built each time she thought of it. It was nice to have something positive to look forward to, so she let the thought go again.

She finished tying the pack to give herself time to wipe any expression off her face when he mentioned her mother. - Nosy blasted man, spread the stupid hay so you can sleep, it will surely shut his infernal questions up. – No, not my mother. A lady friend though, so the food is still special. - Chew on that thought Aimar, bet if you did have the bread in your mouth, you'd choke imagining that I had a girlfriend.- -

She moved again, the bales had been side by side against the wall, so it was only a matter of sliding off her bale, and kneeling beside the other, no standing had been necessary. She wasn't willing to spread his directly beside her, but maybe head to head, or foot to foot would be alright. - Even her foot to his head, wouldn't that be funny. – Lips twitched, even as she gathered her knife and cut more twine, spreading the second bale out as fast as she could so would be able to lay back on the hay.

Aimar wrote:Nice...he grinned, a lady friend...hmm...you are a bit of a sneak, no? his brows were raised in amusement, who would have thought!? he took the tea to his lips that were still curved in a smile and tasted the bitter brew...

Phuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!, that of course was the sound of the spray...the tea came out the same way it had gone in, it was cold enough so he had taken a rather large swig and the awful taste was one he had never been acquainted with, blyuck!!! his face was distorted as he tried to take it but...uh-oh he retched, not here he thought, no water-not here with a last bit of effort he ran for the door, jerked it open and ran to the side of the house...and the rest, we really don't want to know, do we?...

Aasha wrote:She had inadvertently done just what she was trying to avoid, and waited on him. Spread his straw and everything. - Oh well, its done now. – His reaction to her sentence about a lady friend had landed its mark, doing just as she intended, something she could be pleased about. She had finished, so moved back to her own pallet and sat back down, scooting in just a little for more comfort. - More sneak than you know – She's a treasure too. I'll be runnin' into her again one day. - I hope. I need to pay her back for all she did for me, and Jah I'm missing her even after only one meeting. –

His reaction was more than she ever dreamed possible, he spit the tea out like it was poison, his face distorted grotesquely. - Wasted it too, couldn't even swallow. Yep, spoiled. – She chuckled at that, then looked up surprised as he ran out the door. - Was he, oh Jah, he was. He was going to get sick from just a bitter brew. Bet his mother never had him take any medicine before sweetening it for him. – She didn't want to be thrown out now, she had seen how dark it was when the door swung open, and didn't want to find another place to sleep this late. Not when she needed to baby her ankle a while longer. That meant she should stop laughing, and probably not mention a thing when he came back in, she wasn't going to push her luck. Instead, she put her pack and boots directly in front of the pallet, then laid prone on the straw, closing her eyes so she could sleep once she heard him get back safely.

Aimar wrote:There were sounds of him clearing his throat multiple times before Aimar ever came in...it did not take him long to get back though. His eyes were red and watery but he did not look angry, quietly chuckling was more like it, You knew it tasted that bad, didn't you? he stood no further than a foot from the spot Ash was laying, You little brat, he grinned and shook his head as a tear slipped out his eye, no one had ever had the nerve to play such a prank on him, and if it was as he understood it to be, he'd rather enjoyed the gusto.

He threw his purse on his vacant pallet and picked the mug up before he walked into the kitchen to see if there was any water left. Seeing that there was none he got out a handful of corn he had stored up and tried clearing his throat with that. Munching on the few seeds he'd popped into his mouth, he walked back out to the room and collapsed on his hay...suddenly felt like the energy the full meal had brought him was gone, he lay on his back diagonally across the pallet with his feet still in his worn boots and off the hay, Shake me if you need anything, little one

Aasha wrote:She wasn't going to admit it, but she was relieved when she heard him come back in. She told herself the reason she was glad he was back in had to do with not wanting to go out and save him from the boar he had teased her about earlier, but the truth was, she hadn't meant to harm him, she just wanted to see his expression.

Pretending sleep hadn't worked, even with her eyes closed, he was still talking to her. To assuage her guilt, she couldn't keep up the pretense, she had to answer. Opening one eye, then the other, she smiled. I'd had some too. Knew it was bitter, but you didn't. Med'cine is always bitter where I come from. The brat comment she let pass, he had the right to that, but the tear caused a curious tightening inside. Yer alright?

Checking her impulse to get up and investigate when he threw his purse on the pallet and walked out of the room, she listened to him rummage in the kitchen area while she closed her eyes again. Not bothering to open them when he returned, she let the exhaustion she had been holding at bay wash over her. A mumbled Don't need nothin' was heard in answer before she drifted to sleep.

Aimar wrote:I never thought it was medicine, I do not like tea anyhow... he said, Just took it to show I appreciated your sharing it Aimar shrugged, feeling stupid for it now and closed his eyes. He heard the sullen little Don't need nothin' from the boy and wondered why he was so bitter...he is just a child...and he is none of your business, he reminded himself but having someone around to talk to had made him miss his family all the more, If I miss my family he is smaller, he must too...unless they were bad to him....or maybe... he drifted off without finishing the thought...

Aasha wrote:The tone of his voice barely penetrated as she drifted off. She spent a moment regretting how he took her words before she was gone completely, slipping effortless into a deep, dreamless sleep. Had she been aware, she would have been grateful that it was dreamless; she still had no idea she had relived her past as a nightmare at Tiffanyanne's, and would have been horrified by that. Doing the same here with a man would have been so much worse. Awake, holding memories at bay was difficult, but could be done, sleeping it was impossible.

She woke hours later to the sound of rain, steady and soothing on the roof of the cottage. - Now thats just perfect, planned on leaving in the middle of the night and its pouring outside. Any other time, I'd be sleeping through it, but no, not only can I not leave without getting soaked, but I had to go and wake up anyway. – She looked towards Aimar, surprised that he had positioned himself where his head was towards hers, she had expected him to put his feet towards her head, just to annoy her since she had bugged him so much. Of course, his were not dirty, so the effect wouldn't have been the same. She was sure he bathed often, and though she would have liked to, she could not afford that luxury.

Quietly, stealthily, she sat up, then stood, testing her ankle gingerly before moving to the door. She pushed it open and looked out. She had always enjoyed watching the rain, and the freshness it brought to the land. She stood unmoving in the partially open door, letting a few drops touch her outstretched hand. As much as she wanted to, she knew letting the rain pour down her face was a bad idea, the worst, so she had refrained. She had no idea how long she stood there before she moved, but it was quite a while. When she did, she moved to his kitchen, looking for his water barrel. Peering in, she shook her head, then picked it up, moving to the door again. A glance over assured that he was still asleep while she placed the barrel outside. - And wouldn't he be surprised when he woke to fresh water? – Once her task was complete, she reluctantly closed the door and moved back to the pallet to sleep again.

Aasha wrote:She woke the second time to sunlight coming through the window, shining almost directly into her eyes. The sound of the rain had caused her to oversleep, once she was awake enough to realize that, she mentally kicked herself quite soundly for doing so. Of course, a glance towards the other pallet made her feel much better, Aimar was still snoozing, much to her amusement. - Bet he never got up at dawn a day in his life. No wonder he's so tired, he probably worked his field after the sun was high in the sky. That'll drain the energy right out of a person. This chap needs someone to take care of him, yet he tried to give you advice? – She wanted to laugh badly, but that would definitely wake him, which wasn't her intention at all. - And the snoring explains why you didn't wake when the rain stopped. Probably thought it was thunder in the distance, blending right in with sounds of wet weather. –

She sat up on the pallet, stretching to get the kinks out from her position, though she had to stop another giggle when she saw the straw clinging to his hair. - He never put his mat down either, I bet he'll itch like the dickens when he wakes. And slept with his boots on? He really does need a keeper. – Rolling her eyes, she stood, tested her weight on her ankle, then picked up her pack and boots, fully intending on heading out the door. She got as far as the porch before a prickle of guilt hit her. Or maybe just the sight of the full barrel of fresh rainwater made her rethink leaving so fast. Either way, she sat down and put her boots on, then scouted around his house.

Finding a tall tree, perfect for climbing, she shimmied up, put her pack securely on a branch, broke a smaller branch off, then slid back down. She took the time to use a piece of the old pack she had saved to tie her knife securely to the branch before doing anything else, then armed with it, she began to walk. Her ankle was feeling great, causing a wide smile to light upon her face as she headed towards the beach. Right before she got to the sand, she sat to remove her boots and stockings, stuffed the stockings into the boots, slipped the knife out of her sleeve, and after making sure no one was about, waded into the water.

The water felt wonderful on her feet and ankles, keeping any swelling to a minimum on her sore one, and leaving her feeling partially refreshed, though tempted again by the thought of a bath. She was patient, and it showed as she stood still in the water, letting the fish get used to her presence. Her speed and skill were evident as she used the knife like a spear, catching two fish in a matter of minutes. Pleased, she looked around at the deserted beach, soaking in the peace of the spot before moving back to her boots and stockings. The sand clung to her feet, even when she tried to brush it off, so instead of putting the boots back on, she tied the laces together and, after gutting and cleaning the fish, headed back to Aimar's cottage.

She left her pack in its position in the tree. - No reason to retrieve it now, I'm not going to stay that long anyway. Not taking chances of anyone going through it before I do either. – She put her boots on the porch and walked back into the cottage, rolling her eyes again when she heard the snores. - Lazybones is still asleep! - She couldn't cook well for herself, and wasn't going to put herself in a position to be ridiculed for that lack by him, so she put the larger of the two fish in his kitchen, having resisted her impulse to drop it on his head. - Wouldn't that have been a fun way to wake him up. But no, you shouldn't wake him, get out as fast as you can, this soft spot you're showing is going to be your downfall. –

The door didn't make a sound when she walked through it, hopefully for the last time. Her boots were on, the pack retrieved, and she was moving as fast as her ankle would carry her within a matter of minutes, needing a safe place to mangle her fish so she could eat.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down