Alternative RK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Grave Mistake

2 posters

Go down

A Grave Mistake Empty A Grave Mistake

Post  Aasha Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm

This RP took place in Chester back on 22 July 1456, before Aimar's death

They'd traveled all day, and gotten into Chester later than she wanted. There was no way she could leave Aimar alone long enough to go wolf hunting, even if it wasn't so late. She couldn't take him with her either, she didn't know how things were going to go, and refused to put him in jeopardy for her mistakes. She'd come up with a solution after being shown to her room at the Inn. She would send him a message, letting him know where to find her. It would be better for the confrontation to be on familiar ground anyway, maybe give her a little more confidence in the encounter. Facing her past was going to be harder than she thought, she had people she cared about now, and she was scared to death, for them even more than herself.

She quietly slipped down the back stairs and found a small lad who looked halfway trustworthy. I'm needin' ya to get a mes'ge to someone fer me. Ken ya do that? The boy's eyes lit up as he saw the coin in her hand. There's more if'n I ken trust ya. After assuring her he could, Aasha whispered her message in the child's ear, not knowing how to write it down, then straightened to look seriously at the lad. The boy's eyes were wide, more over who he was delivering to than the contents, he repeated it back, then trembling met her eyes. Ken ya do it? Don't lie neither, I'll know if'n ya don't. He swallowed hard and nodded, then hurried out into the night, hoping he wasn't making a grave mistake.

She watched the boy leave until he was out of sight, then walked out to where she had Pillow hidden in the bushes outside the inn. Kneeling down, she smiled as he moved out to lick her hand, then stood and motioned for the fox to follow. Yer gonna hafta be quiet...not sure they'd be likin' ya in...so ain't gonna tell...shhh.. After looking both ways, she slipped the fox in unseen and headed up the back stairs as quietly as she could, her thoughts divided between concern for Aimar traveling so soon, to the message she'd just sent that could mean the end of the future she was trying to build.

Pausing in front of his door, she tried to hear if he was stirring, sighed deeply when she heard nothing through the solid door, then entered her room, barring the door behind her. Minutes later her and Pillow were under the covers, staring at the dividing door between her room and his.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Grave Mistake Empty Re: A Grave Mistake

Post  Aasha Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Meanwhile:

The boy was shaking by the time he got to Beeston, he'd heard the man he was looking for was Judge now, and had no desire to be on the wrong end of an encounter with him, in a court of law or in the dead of night, the wolf reputation was much more intimidating. The other lad he'd stopped in town had looked at him like he'd lost his mind when he asked directions to the Judge's home, and was muttering some sort of incantation as he walked away. The campsite wasn't easy to find, but he followed the directions carefully, he wasn't going to let the girl down. At this point, he was in danger either way he went, may as well prove his bravery by finishing the job. He could swear he felt eyes watching him the closer he got to the low burning fire, he wasn't going too far in. Stopping where the flames allowed him to be seen, but hid anyone from his view, he called out in what he hoped was a strong voice. I gots a mes'ge fer a Sir Julien Devil...ain't got no weapons or nothin', just somethin' to say then I'll take my leave. Please don't kill me...

Deciding it would be easier to just say what he had to say without facing the man, he started talking fast; I'm 'posed to tell ya that the one what cut the skirts is in Shrewsbury, an' ready to face yer idear of just'ce. If'n yer not wantin' to go, fine, but its somethin' what Ash said needed to be faced head on, so ya should go there lookin'. The eerie silence had the kid spooked, he'd said what needed said, and if the guy hadn't heard it wasn't his fault. He took out of there like a banshee, running full on until he reached the relative safety of the heart of town.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:28 pm

It had taken hours for her to get to sleep, the finality of sending the message, and what it might mean for her kept her tossing through much of the night. There were moments she'd had to force herself to stay in bed, her desire to knock on the connecting door had built up to an urge that was hard to control. As the sun started to rise, she finally dozed off, with Pillow snuggled close to her side.

The knock when it came, caused her to groan and bury her face deeper under the covers. As the insistence behind it grew, she sighed, moaned, then finally got up long enough to let the servant there know she was awake. Her eyes felt gritty from the restless night, she splashed water onto her face, dressed in clean clothes, then met Aimar to break the fast.

Once his business had been concluded, they headed back to Shrewsbury...home...though Aasha couldn't help but look over her shoulder until the sights of Chester were far behind. The boy's safety, the delivery of the message, and the reaction to it all had her tense. - Please Jah, keep the lad from harm, and my friends at home. Don't let my mistakes pull innocents into it, I'm willing to face my past, but my friends should not have to. - A glance at Aimar after she'd silently prayed assured her he was doing well, even with his injuries still so fresh.

The travel was easier this time, the smells and bustle of Shrewsbury a welcome sight to them both as they finally made it home.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJulienDelval Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:26 pm

He arrived at the Inn to find her gone. His hands, black gloved now, clenched tight. She had come and gone so quickly. He had been buried so far in his books and learning that the message had gone cold. And now he could not travel. He would never know more about that incident, the one who had cut the skirts, or why he had somehow let her go.

He remembered the glow of the sun that day in the meadows. The tourney preceding around him. The glorious fighting. How beautiful the Mayoress had looked standing their, dressed in finery, her hair falling around her shoulders as an auburn curtain. Hissing, he slammed his fist down on the bar. His life was escaping him while he sat with musty tomes in that Judge's office. That would change here and now. Pulling out a stool he sat down upon it. His eyes flickered to the Innkeep. "Get me some wine. Whatever you have. I am sure it is fine enough for one such as I. And find a messenger, someone able to travel to Shrewsbury today. Someone who can travel NOW for double coin. Also another to go to the Mayoress."

The man stammered at him. Judge Grave waved a hand. "Don't bother me with details. I'll pay any costs. I am a man of means now." He drew his money pouch from his belt and set it down on the bar. It tinkled alluringly.

He looked around, his eyes narrowing. The time for games is past. Now it is time to reclaim my world. Judge, Wolf, Councillor, lover... and proud of them all. Enough hiding on the riverbank.

He questioned the Innkeeper. It turned out that no boy had stayed at the Inn recently, but rather a unique woman from Shrewsbury. Coin loosened tongue, and soon the keep was singing an impressive if not sweet tune.

Two people arrived in short order. The young boy he sent to the Mayoress with a message asking for her company in this place, if she could find time. The sturdy woman he gave a piece of poor quality parchment, tied with black ribbon, and marked with the dragon seal. He described the lady carefully. With luck, she would be able to find him by that very unique description. A woman who was claiming to be a boy who cut a purse.

Interesting.

And then he sat back to wait, the dark cowl of his cloak hiding his face in shadow.

Time for some new rules, methinks.

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJulienDelval Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:26 pm

The note. Tied in black ribbon, scratched with fine pen on poor parchment, it is sealed with a dragon.

Lady, I arrived to find you gone. I must admit that my curiosity is peaked at the message you sent to me. I remember a slight lad who cut a purse, and a skirt. Now I find a woman asks after me in his name. I am unable to travel to Shrewsbury at this time, but please enlighten me...

What do you require of me?

Judge Sir Julien Icey Grave Delval, Lord Of Midnight.

SirJulienDelval
SirJulienDelval
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:18 am

The trip to Chester for the county had been successful, though Aasha's own business there was not so easily qualified as positive. She didn't know for sure whether the wolf had gotten her message, and had grave doubts that she'd done the right thing to begin with. So much of her past was negative, was bringing those things out in the open to deal with them such a good idea? Could she find the future she desired without doing so? She was afraid she had to, even with the doubts still floating in her mind, by ignoring those events, there was the distinct possibility they'd haunt her forever, or worse, she'd be forced to confront them on terms other than her own. - Too bad the past won't stay buried there forever. I can't take the chance my past harms others though. -

Of course, such thoughts made her question her decision to bring the wolf to Shrewsbury. Yes, it would give her an advantage to be on her turf, but it might involve those she cared about instead of just her. At that point, if she could have pulled the lad back, she would have, but the deed was done, there was no changing the course now.

She'd just gotten settled back into her routine, when the monotony of it was broken by a visitor. She was walking to the orchard, Pillow excitedly running ahead, when a sturdy woman approached her. Beggin' your parden m'lady, but were you recently in Chester? Aasha's heartbeat quickened at the question, this wasn't the wolf she'd messaged, nor did she look a wolf at all, but why else would she be asking such a question? I been there a couple days past. Ken I help ya with somethin'? The odd woman looked her up and down, recalling the description and matching it to the young girl in front of her, then pressed a missive into her hand. This is for you then. Before Aasha could react, the woman had hurried off.

She watched the woman until she was out of sight, then looked down at the note in her hand. It was tied with a black ribbon, with the most unusual seal pressing the parchment together. The animal was not one she was familiar with, she studied it curiously before carefully untying the ribbon, slipping it into her pocket, and breaking the seal. Words swam before her eyes as once again she cursed her lack of knowledge. She had a sense of foreboding, this wasn't one she could just take to Jay, or even Aimar to read to her, she had the distinct feeling this was one she'd want to keep to herself. Biting her lip, she carefully folded it back, and tucked it in with the ribbon, then turned and headed for the river, having lost the desire to do anything constructive with her day.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:19 am

The letter felt heavy in her pocket as she made it into Chester, though she knew it was impossible for it to be. Ignoring the automatic twitch to take it out, she looked around the town, glad it was quiet. She went to the same Inn as before, but only to wash off the grime from the road before continuing on. This time she was alone, there was no reason to spend the coin to stop here, no one she need protect but herself. The road to Beeston was well worn, an easy trek even after traveling straight through. It wouldn't do to face him tired though, now was the time to find a place to sleep, recuperate and start fresh in the morn. Even knowing this did not take her footsteps to an Inn here, she had Pillow to think about, and had spent many a night in the forest, this would be more of the same. A good area was not hard to find, it wasn't far from where she could see another such campsite, though she was careful to keep hers well hidden from that of the one below. Her knife close, she curled up with Pillow standing guard and quickly fell asleep.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:43 pm

SirJulienDelval wrote:He heard that she had arrived near his camp. Waking himself from his comfortable sleep Grave cast around for his clothing. Falling asleep in the Judge's Office had its advantages - one of them being that Mackenzie Gael's bakery was just across the road. He could wake early and meet her for some freshly baked bread and a talk before he had to start work. The down side was that he missed his little riverside campsite.

He found a pair of duelling trousers that were freshly laundered, his black shirt with a wolf badge sewn to the shoulder, and his long black Judge's cloak. Tying back his long white hair he buckled Hrunting around his waist and pulled on a pair of soft, shabby boots.

Blearing around in the moonlight he realised that the Office was more like a dressing room than a place of business. He should certainly do something about that.

His footsteps carried him quickly up the road past the Inn. He cast about, noting several familiar faces with a smile. They were about late at night, but then Beeston people often were. He thought of the time he had travelled through Romania and heard of their famous blood drinking dead. Looking down at himself he realised that nowadays he looked mostly like one himself. Passing just as the Inn keep was kicking out several more disreputable drunks - outnumbered only by the reputable ones - he put his head down and hurried.

A sort of vague excitement built in Grave's stomach. Who was this woman, and what did she have to do with a seemingly unconnected incident that had occurred many months ago?

As the streets opened out into countryside, he looked up at the stars. He smoothed back his hair once more, remembering the handsome face that had been replaced by the mass of scars that now made up his own. His dreaming head and sure feet carried him to the clearing.

And there she was. Asleep on the hill overlooking it, she had made a reasonable attempt to cover her location. Grave knew every sound of this place however, the position of every leaf as though he owned them, though he delighted in owning none.

Sneaking up to her sleeping form he leant against a tree near to her. His arms were folded, his legs cross at the ankle. His hand rested on Hrunting as he noticed the rather unusual pillow she rested her head upon. Not a soft lady this one, btu one knowledgable about the ways of the wilds. This should be a most interesting conversation. His voice loud in his own ears he called out:

"It is Icey Grave, as requested."
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Too much traveling on too little sleep threw her senses off. She had no idea he was near until he spoke, having slept through his approach and his study of her sleeping form. The voice in the darkness brought her instantly alert. Blinking up towards the sound, she struggled to focus on a face, though the moonlight was doing little to cooperate. Even with the quickening of her heart, she schooled her face to show no emotions. Rude or no, she didn't speak until she felt a little more secure, giving her eyes a chance to focus and adjust to the darkness. She could hear the fox's heart race under her ear, he had managed to curl up under her, as if trying to be the pillow he was named for.

Slowly, Aasha sat up and faced the intimidating stranger. The name spoken meant nothing, but the voice…it was one she knew. It was him. - Why's he calling himself Icey Grave? He doesn't think dark clothes and the glitter of steel on his side will cow me enough without the cold nickname? – Her nature wasn't to be bowed though, not even if she had reason to be, no one was here he could hurt this time. He could shout to the world what she was and it mattered not, for her friends were safe, and she knew Pillow could run fast enough to save himself if needed.

I was req'stin' a meetin' with a wolf…if'n Icey Grave be that same one as Delval, I'm guessin' I'd be the one what was lookin' fer ya.
She straightened further, then slowly got to her feet, hiding the point of her dagger inside her sleeve. She had no doubt he would disarm her were she to try using it, there was no reason to give him pause to think he needed to. We gots a past, an' I'm here to make it right. Praying to Jah she wasn't making an already bad situation worse, she paused and took a breath, giving him time to react to her words.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:46 pm

SirJulienDelval wrote:"A past?" His voice seemed like an invasion of the evening air. Her accent was familiar and very pleasant. It warmed him inside and made him think of dancing. He knew this woman was not that one, but still she conjured up happy memories. The scent of baking bread warmed his nostrils.

You are becoming soft a voice, unbidden, whispered in his ear. He brought his hand to the hilt of Hrunting but saw no reason to draw the weapon.

"So what if I am?" He answered it silently. "Maybe it is time to find a way that does not involve sharp swords and even sharper words." If she attacks me I shall defend. If not then... a sword was a most uncomfortable way to end an argument.

All of this had taken plac ein his own head, and he realised that she was staring at him now, blinking. She must think him a fool. "If it is a Wolf you are looking for then you have found one. Now, do tell me, what is this past that you speak of? You are a pretty woman... I would remember if I had seen your face before. I do not." He walked into the clearing, sitting down on a fallen log. Holding his arms as wide as his curiousity, he said, "Enlighten me."
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:47 pm

She'd never realized just how effective her disguise had been until now. It was obvious though, he had no clue who she was, if she'd not been sure she would offend him by laughing, she would. As it was, there was a twinkle in her eyes she could not hide. Even with the glint of humor, she was wary. Facing a wolf in his lair was not the brightest idea.

She was studying him closely, trying to decide how big a mistake this had been when she saw his hand move to the hilt of his sword. It was an action guaranteed to make her tense, the amusement fled as quickly as it had risen. Keeping her senses focused on his hand, she continued to wait for him to speak. Not just any wolf...

She wasn't sure if he was being deliberately obtuse, or just missed what she said, but at this point, she was pretty certain he was the one she'd sought an audience with. Lips began to twitch once more as he complimented her on her looks. - He thinks a nice word will make me gush like the ladies he's met? Me? Pretty? - It took a shake of her head to curb her impulse to laugh, though it did force her to loosen her stance.

Dropping her voice a few octaves, she took on the husky tones she'd employed on their last meeting before answering; Ya seen my face before, just ain't seen me like I'm dressin' now. Odd though, if'n I was a boy dressin' as a lady, then goin' back to myself, would ya have known me sooner then? - Shut up girl, what are you doing? Going to antagonize a wolf now? - Rushing her words before he took exception to them, she continued; Ya said ya was wantin' me to face wolf justice. I'm here to do that...only ain't facin' no other wolves, just you. So if'n yer still wantin' justice, yer gonna hafta tell me what yer idea of it is. Yer lady weren't knowin' 'bout the coins bein' gone, sos its more'n just givin' it back to her. - Too bad though...it would have been a lot easier to slip her a few coins than face him in the dark! -
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:49 pm

SirJulienDelval wrote:Grave pondered over her words. "A boy dressing as a lady?" He thought. "Or a lady as a boy?" He took a coin from his pocket and played with it idly in his hands. "Certainly I have known boys dressed as ladies. The stage in France was filled with them. Many a nobleman was caught by surprise in the dressing tent, finding that his conquest of the night was more than he bargained for." He shrugged his broad shoulders. "Though if that is a man's choice what can we say against him? If he is true to his heart and beliefs then should society frown upon him?" He sat back, his eyes wandering up and down her slim form. He caught a movement behind the lady and saw that her erstwhile pillow was moving. "Ah, but there are so many surprises about you."

When she talked of stealing coins and punishments he froze. His eyes, dark in the blackness of night, caught hers. "So.. YOU were the boy who stole from Mackenzie at the Tourney. Most amusing!" He laughed deep in his throat. "Wandering into a camp filled with many of the best Wolves, dressed as a boy, and cutting the purse of the Mayoress! You made us all look foolish that day - Wolves and Knights and guards and commoners. Now I realise doubly so - for you did so as a boy." He toyed with the idea again, remembering the stage "actresses". Standing he moved close to her, popping a mint leaf between his teeth to chew. "Or are you now a boy masquerading as a girl, hoping to alleviated yourself of some of the punishment with your fair looks and soft voice? Hmmmmm?" He leant close, examining her features closely in the poor moonlight. "Certainly a very perplexing question." He felt some joy rising at the mystery. To be faced with so many questions. She had a quick wit to her this one. He could smell it upon her.

Stepping back once more he smiled, the corner of his mouth pulling up, his face covered with a web of scars that stood out in sharp relief against the night air.

"No matter. If it is punishment you seek then punishment you shall have. Though I believe that none of us are without sin, I also believe that the punishment shall fit the crime. So if you were hoping for a physical punishment such as those handed out to common thieves and robbers you will be most disappointed. If you truly wish to do penance, then I task you with this..."
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:52 pm

- He saw them on stage that way? What kind of crazy place is this France? - He'd shocked her to her core, she'd not expected his discourse on what he'd seen, and wasn't sure she was better now for having heard. The thoughts and pictures flashing through her mind only caused confusion, what he spoke made no sense in her innocent mind, though she knew enough about men who thought they owned something to know that thwarting them could be an ugly business at best.

Pillow chose that moment to move to her side, perhaps for reassurance. He'd been holding still, almost observing as they talked, but the fox's senses were good, he knew when his mistress needed him. Admitting it to herself was easy, she felt better just having him near, he was a reminder of what she was going back to, why she wanted to be better, what she had to live for now. Ain't seen nothin' like that on no stage, or off. Mine weren't somethin' I ever meant to take up. Sometimes, life don't give ya choices, or if'n it does, ya ain't smart 'nuff to see 'em till its too late.

She could feel heat climbing into her face as she met his eyes. I was then...but I'm aimin' to be somethin' else now. This...meetin'...doin' right by my mistakes...it's a step to bein' better. She'd wondered since that day how she'd gotten away, especially after hearing reputation of the wolves, and this man. His laughter, his own amusement at what had happened before surprised her. Momentarily thrown off balance, the heat culminated in the stain upon her cheeks. A boy ken slip in an' out without notice easier 'n a girl. Most would 'member a girl...but a lad what was quiet an' small? Forgetting for a moment what danger she'd placed herself in when he moved closer, her eyes flashed. If'n I was lookin' for all...all'vatin'... - Whats up with all of these learned people using those fancy words a body doesn't understand? - ...anythin', why would I come lookin' fer ya? Makin' things right, thats why I'm here. If'n yer not wantin' me to do it with ya, and yer wolf stuff, I ken go to her.

Stiffening when he mentioned punishment, for its really not why she was here, she glanced up warily again. I ain't common nothin'...but I'll listen. What task are ya wantin' me to do? I ain't no thief no more...so if'n thats it, I'll go to her an' see what she'd have me do instead.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:53 pm

SirJulienDelval wrote:He smiled slowly. Her manner was... very interesting. Not one of the high born who saw robbery as a way to amuse themselves on the long winter evenings of this country - but one driven to thieving in her past due to her situation. Her circumstances had driven her to need more coin than she could procure. He wondered idly what those circumstances had been. Had they to do with a man perhaps? Or a noble house fallen low? Such his enquiring mind would delve deeply into; but he realised that their time here was short. He must return to his offices for the morning. The chance of chatting to Mac formed in his mind and he felt a brief flash of... something. Now was not the time to become distracted.

Widening his circle around her, he paced one more full circuit, pondering the situation. Her words hung in the warm air of the night as though one could reach up and pluck them down to examine them. "As your crime was one of necessity and not simple human greed or desire... and as the lady effected has no knowledge of the proceedings... I see no reason for your actions to be punished as such. But your punishment shall be this - I charge you to walk a circuit of Beeston. As you travel along the way you should take every item that you own and hand it to the poor you meet along the way. Give each person you come across an item of clothing, or a few coins, or lend them a hand, depending on their needs and your own abilities. I know you are not rich yourself.

"Thus you can benefit those who are now like you once were - poor and destitute and living on the streets. Hopefully you will carry this home with you and always remember them."

He watched her face. "This is why I am a Wolf mademoiselle. Not out of some wild desire to rob and pillage, instead to help those who need it the most. For while the rich grow fatter and more comfortable, the poor still starve on the streets the same as they ever did. Some would call them lazy, and in truth some are, but others... have no chance. Only by helping them can we help ourselves.

"Devote yourself to this task and you shall find the peace you seem to seek."

Stretching he looked to the moon. She hung high above, a thin knife slit in the sky. He nodded to her thanking her for the wisdom she had imparted to him. "If you wish I shall walk with you lady, and do the same. For though a Judge and a Councillor I am also poor."
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:06 pm

His circling reminded her of Pillow. She glanced over to see the fox watching warily, though when he saw her looking, he quickly moved to her side. Bending, she pet him gently, ignoring the pacing as she waited for his answer. When it finally came, she looked at him incredulous. Yer serious? Her laughter was bitter as she shook her head. Two pence...it was two pence, an' yer task fer me is to give away everythin' I own to make up fer it? Clothes too? Yer tryin' to get me nekked?

- Good job Aasha, travel all the way to Beeston to meet him when you could be home, talking to Aimar, using what little skills you have to pay Tiffany back, learning to read and write. Instead you're here, dealing with a dandy, one that's obviously daft, and who is trying to see you naked! -
She couldn't keep it in though, his punishment was so amazing to her that she was almost speechless. What she did have to say, only added to her thoughts internal and the ones she'd already voiced. Yer wantin' me to put myself right back where I was before...where the poor I'm givin' to have more'n I have...where I'm havin' to work even harder just to try an' have somethin'. I ain't got much now...most of what I gots ain't even mine, it was gifts from what few I found what cared 'bout me...an'...an'... Her sputtering ceased while she tried to catch her breath.

His talk of the wolves helped her find her balance again, something she didn't expect to find after he
threw her off kilter so badly. She was still shaking her head, though her voice was noticeably lower. I done heard of the wolves...an' nothin' good at that. Ya might not have a des're to rob an' pill'ge...but ya know thats what they're known fer. If'n yer wantin' to better yerself, or anyone around ya, ya ain't gots to be a wolf to do it. It's a matter of choosin' to do diff'rent. She leaned down further, rubbing her cheek into Pillow's fur to compose herself. Yers is a worse reason than mine fer bein' here. Me...I was 'fraid of my past comin' to haunt what I was tryin' to be. Shows how dumb I am don't it? The person whats most imp'rtant to me...he knows, an' didn't much care. He knows I'm tryin' to be better now, an' is willin' to help. My fear...is somethin' I shouldn't give into. Its only makin' me weaker...

Her eyes finally met his again. She was calm now, steady once more. She didn't move from her crouching position, keeping her hands buried in the fox's fur. Thank ya fer meetin' with me. I ain't gonna give away what little I gots, just to please ya...yer not who I'm aimin' to please. Yer terms, they ain't gonna give me peace. They'd only be makin' me r'sent ya, an' myself fer bein' fool 'nuff to do it. Reaching for her pouch, she felt its slight weight, then tossed it to him. Ya ken give it to her, or to anyone else ya please. I'm goin' back home... - Home...something I never thought I'd have, but I do. Yes, I'm going back home, to my friends... -
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Sir JulienDelval wrote:As the pouch flew threw the air, he put out his hand to catch it. It hit upon the heel of his hand, making a loud clink and flying away into the underbrush. He sighed and went to look for it. Picking it up finally from underneath the fronds of a fern he noted that she was about to leave. He tossed the pouch back at her. "Mademoiselle..." He stood, his white hair falling around his shoulders, his eyes half closed against the gathering day. "This is not about money. If anyone had come to me to talk about anything I would have made the same reply. Now you have things you count yourself happy. You have a house to keep you dry, and friends, and items that you can call yours. I ask you not to give away the house nor the friends. I ask you to give the strength of your own two arms and whatever other physical things you can afford. When you are in a nice warm bed at night, what need have you of a pretty cloak? When you have a place to wash and be clean, what need have you to be afraid of lending your arms to a beggar searching for coins in a ditch?"

The irony of the situation was not lost upon him. Once another woman had thrown a purse at him - one he had attempted to steal to feed the poor over Christmas, from a dandy and a fop with more money than sense. Would people ever see that, until society was equal, there would be no happiness in the world? "Now that you have lifted yourself from your situation, you forget about those things you did and those people you met while in it. I speak not of those who are good friends, but those who shared the corner of a cold barn with you, or slept near you in the trees or down alleys. You have drawn yourself out and so believe that others may all do the same. Not all people are so lucky. I will eschew the trappings of richness in favour of helping the poor. Each penny that I make shall go to them. Certainly I will keep some for myself, for me and those like me to fall into sickness and death would aid them none."

His mind wandered to the Wolves. Removing Hrunting he set the blade down in the dewy grass. "If I set down my sword, does that make me any less of a threat? Someone else may pick it up and use it for great evil. In my hands it has remained sheathed for many months now. It is not the fact that the blade is a weapon which causes a threat, but rather the person who wields it. If all people with all reason left the Wolves then they would degenerate into a slavering pack of dogs.

"Sometimes a sword can just be an ornament. Sometimes a Wolf can be more than a wild animal." His eyes pointedly looked to her fox. "You can walk away from here today with a clean conscience, Aasha, because I never believed that you had any need for a guilty one in the first place. When one is brought low, one must do what one can to survive. The rules of society cease to hold sway."

Grave knew that she would leave now - walk away to her life and her home. His words would make no difference and yet he did not regret saying them. For to speak with one's heart was all that was necessary to seek true happiness.

He mulled over that thought while he waited for her to yell more at him or leave. She was a bright little camp fire and no mistake. He felt a grudging respect come over him for her. Although they did not agree, here was one who would stand strong by what she believed. Despite himself he knew that was something the Midnight Queen would approve of...
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Thoughts of home were swimming in her mind now, facing the inevitable questions of where she'd been and why, normally a daunting idea, were giving her a feeling of comfort she'd not expected. Having someone care enough perhaps, those thoughts, along with the lingering sense of outrage had her wanting to storm off immediately, but something held her back. Perhaps it was curiosity, or maybe just practicality, she had to make sure he caught the pouch. Lucky for her that she did as he threw it back, hitting her hands with sure aim. Mad'em'sell? - Whats up with these people and their fancy words? Doesn't anyone speak plain nowdays? Or is that just another thing I have to learn to be a lady? -

She was only partially listening, not wanting to listen too closely lest the rage give way inside her. Getting herself into too much trouble at this point was not in the plan, only going back to Shrewsbury. The word friends caught her attention though. - Good Jah, first hard words, now baths! Its like some sort of weird disease, the more proper you are, the cleaner you want to be. Baths, bah! - Her nose wrinkled and her eyes rolled, though she kept her thoughts to herself. He knew nothing of her situation, what she'd lifted herself from, nor what she had left to face, and he wasn't one she'd be telling either. I ain't never shared no cold corner of a barn, nor slept close 'nuff fer anyone to be seein' me...an' I ain't forgot nothin'... ...not even things that I'm wantin' to be forgettin'... Her eyes closed for a brief moment as a shudder overcame her slight frame, he was stirring up ghosts, only they weren't all dead.

She lost the thread again as the ghosts continued to walk undaunted through her mind, memories
pushed at bay trying desperately to break free. Hands balled at her sides, a broken nail digging into her palm, and she finally found the control she'd lost. She wasn't sure how much she missed, and at the moment didn't care, but she did respond to the tail end of his words.

I'm guessin' somehow ya been in hard times before...wolves...foxes...what they gots in common is that they all gots some wild in 'em. Thank ya fer sayin' I ain't gots reason fer guilt here.
- Only here Ash, some guilts aren't as easy to move past. Some will linger and haunt forever, some can't be forgiven... - What she'd done before had been the only choice she thought open to her, the choices now were more difficult. She almost missed the running, there were fewer expectations then...almost...but not quite. The warmth of friendship and love brought a smile and a sigh. Yes, almost...what she'd found made the weight of those easier to bear.

Next we meet, it won't be this...I ain't gonna see ya as a wolf...an' ya ain't gonna see me as the thief what got away. We'll just be Icey Grave an' Aasha...if'n we meet again. Till then,
I'd be wishin' ya luck, but I'm thinkin' ya'd be makin' yer own.
Pillow on her heels, she turned,
determination in every step as she began the long trek home.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Sir JulienDelval wrote:He was just standing to pick up Hrunting once more when her words struck him. Grave looked up from under his long white hair, his eyebrows raising, his mouth formed into a half smile of shock.

"We'll just be Icey Grave an' Aasha...if'n we meet again. Till then, I'd be wishin' ya luck, but I'm thinkin' ya'd be makin' yer own."

Her words were wise, and warmly spoken, and he felt a... what? A possibility of a touch of friendship to them? No, he would not fool himself with that.

He opened his mouth and, to her back as she rapidly vanished into the morning halflight, spoke just once more. "Julien. You can call me Julien."

Scooping the long metal blade from the grass he wiped it gently and belted it to his waist. This had certainly been an interesting meeting. Maybe they would cross paths again. He would like to chat further with her, for within her Grave saw an inkling of something very important to every human - a soul. A soul with edges, but then a smooth soul caught upon nothing and was without guilt not by righteousness, but by carelessness.

Chuckling low to himself he began to hum a tune under his breath. Since when had he become so
religious and thoughtful? The walk back to the town was most wonderful, and he stopped to take in some bread...
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aasha Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:30 pm

She heard him call out, though she didn’t turn to acknowledge his name, she’d remember though…if they met again. There was no reason to leave Shrewsbury and travel this way again, not due to anything from her past anyway. The main reason she had run was still out there, an albatross hanging heavily around her conscious, though it wasn’t one she planned on going to look for anymore. Facing this one was enough to convince her not to go looking for trouble, it seemed to find her enough as it is, and this had not gone the way she expected. The further she walked, the more she realized how truly lucky she had been, her refusal to do as he’d bid could have caused her serious injury. There was a difference in hunting and defending, one she was quite good at, the other had only been tested once…it wasn’t really something she wanted to face again. A shiver went through her slight form at the thoughts as she left Beeston behind.
Aasha
Aasha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down